The 29-year-old inmate needed emergency surgery at Tallaght Hospital in Dublin after telling guards he had ingested the device wholeThese shocking pictures show how a prisoner who swallowed a mobile phone ended up with the device lodged in his stomach.
The inmate needed emergency surgery at Tallaght Hospital in Dublin after telling guards he had ingested the device whole.
The 29-year-old vomited for four hours before being rushed to hospital when the cause of his illness became clear.
Medics sedated him and tried to pluck the phone out with tiny grippers on the end of a tube fitted with a camera.
Read Also:Body Of Missing Nigerian Medical Student Found In Lake Michigan (Photos)
But doctors at the hospital were eventually forced to perform surgery as the device was too firmly lodged in his stomach.
The case has since been reported in the International Journal of Surgery Case Reports.
Doctors urged colleagues faced with similar cases in future to get patients’ consent for surgery before they put them to sleep, in case it’s needed.
In a report in the International Journal of Surgery Case Reports medics said: “The only case report of mobile phone ingestion we found was that of a 35-year old intoxicated male.
“A few other anecdotal reports of mobile phones lodged in the stomach exist in non-scientific literature.”
The report added the majority of ingestion cases involve children under five-years-old who have swallowed objects such as coins.